Saturday, August 6, 2016

Another One-Shot of Sherlock

So, concerning Camp NaNoWriMo, I made it with a bit over 55,000 words this year. Mostly centered around fanfiction I'd written, though a few thousand words were supplied by my novel-in-progress (which will be a forever thing, I swear... :I)

Anyway... I thought I'd offer up another one of the dozen short stories/one-shots that I wrote last month. I've got several more Sherlock themed ones and a sad few Supernatural ones. I'm super up for suggestions or prompts, as I plan to do the same thing this November for "National Novel Writing Month". Way more fun than focusing on one novel for an entire month. :)

This is Never Stood a Chance and it's between John and Mary. There's a bit more information towards the bottom on my feelings towards Mary, though in the beginning I really didn't mind her. A bit crazy, yet, but still... Things have changed a bit since then.

Never Stood a Chance - an original work by Julie Lynn Thorpe (C) 2016
     “I never stood a chance, did I?”
     She looked sad, almost. He bristled slightly, knowing the look on her face was yet another act. His lip raised in a silent snarl and she had the decency to appear ashamed for a moment.
     “John,” she started, pity flowing from her lips as if he deserved it.
     “No, don’t.” He shook his head, moving a pace back. “Don’t, Mary. It’s too late for that.”
     The act fell apart then like she shed a second skin. She straightened to her full height, though it wasn’t much taller than he was if you took into account her heels, and glared at him, a sneer pulling at her lips.
     “Fine,” she snapped. “Leave me then. For him. Three years of your life gone, John, because he couldn’t be bothered to tell you once he was alive.”
     “He was busy, Mary,” John snarled back. “Of all the stupid, idiotic things for him to do with his life, I can accept that. I may hate him for it, yes, but I forgive him. I can’t forgive you. Your lies are worse than anything he’s ever given me and I was wrapped up in a god-damn bomb once!”
     Her eyebrow twitched at that, but she seemed to ignore it. “So, you’ll just leave me and what we’ve built–.”
     “What did we build, hm? Besides a lie?” John’s lips twitched upward in a smile, but it held no humor as it disappeared quickly as it had come. “That child you’re carrying, is it mine?”
     “That’s not fair!”
     “Is it mine?”
     The words echoed between them, her angry and frightened look giving him the answer he needed. Simple observations were all it took to read her thoughts, he’d learned more than enough in the past few years. Sherlock would have been proud.
     “Right.” The only word he could say; a simple word that he fell on when all others failed him. His lips twitched again as his hand clenched and unclenched in rapid succession. He spun on his heel to leave, but turned around again, as if to say something, but words failed him.
     “John, please…”
     He shook his head. “I can’t. Not now, not ever. It’s best you leave and forget about,” he waved a hand between them. “Whatever this was supposed to be.”
     “John, please.”
     “Shut up,” he snapped. “Just shut up.”
     For once, she obliged, her lips set into a thin line as she stared at him. Questions and various emotions flickered in those blue eyes, almost like looking into a mirror. He shook his head as he spun again, ignoring the look on her face, the pain in her eyes, everything that nearly broke him. Damn, she was good at this… He made it a few more paces before he paused, pulled back once again by her voice,
     “I never stood a chance, did I, John? Not against him?”
     He looked back at her, a pitiful smile gracing his appearance. He ran a hand through his hair and chuckled weakly. He turned and walked away, only raising his voice to answer her question as he left her behind,
     “That’s the sad part, Mary,” a slight pause, “You did once…”
So, I have this posted on another site and someone brought this link to my attention - Penitence, Paradox and Psychopathy: Why Mary is A Bit Not Good. It's rather long and VERY anti-Mary, but is well worth the read. I now think I'm leaning far more to the side of "Mary's a fuckin' psycho" and actually fits this story rather well. Makes me laugh a bit, really. Let me know what you think 'bout it in the comments below.

I'm a sucker for comments and critics. Let me know what you think down in the comment section below! Thank you for reading!

(If you find you have a desire to share this elsewhere, PLEASE PLEASE let me know first. I have shared it in a couple of places, so I know it's out there already, but for the love of all that is holy, ASK ME to share this. I'll probably give it the okay, but I'd like to know where you're sharing it and if you're going to give me proper credit for it. It is my work after all. Thanks! :3 )

No comments:

Post a Comment