Monday, April 4, 2016

30 Day Challenge - Day 16

Day 16: Your views on mainstream music.

What is mainstream music? ... I actually had to look this up.


"Music that's usually on the radio." - Thank you, Urban Dictionary.

Um... Okay? I guess I'm supposed to hate it or something? Which is strange because I just don't. I actually like most of the "mainstream music" that is playing on my radio. Why? Because it's music that's playing on my radio. It gives me something to listen to and I'm familiar with the songs, or the themes as they are the same that I've listened to for years.

"Usually criticized by fans of the previous mainstream generations" - HA! You want to know what I listened to growing up? Music from my parents' time. Country music (though, I do have to agree that some of the new Country music isn't nearly as good as the stuff from the 90s-00s). My mother wouldn't let me listen to Brittany, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, etc. Hell, I even had to listen to the Chipmunks singing Country songs - talk about butchering some good music. That or classical stuff.

So, yeah, I like what's on the radio now. Sure, hearing stuff from my childhood makes me feel "old", but hey, music progresses in its own way and changes with the times. It gets better or worse, though sometimes it's got to get worse before it gets better (also read as "goes back to the way it was).

I enjoy listening to whatever comes on the radio for the most part, mainstream or not. It's music and it inspires me to write, to draw, to dream, to live, to laugh, to be me. Who cares if it's not what it used to be, tomorrow's music won't be today's music. It's a song, don't like it? Then change the station. Listen to your cds of by-gone times, listen to your iPhone/iPod/Zune/whatever and sing your own songs. I'm going to listen to whatever I want and I don't care about labels on music.

Psht, mainstream... It's the same with books. Don't care. Reading it whether or not it's "in" or "out".

No comments:

Post a Comment